Pages

Blogtember: A September Blog Challenge

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

I have accepted a Blog Challenge.

It's not like I have anything else to do, right?  (My almost 7 month old, Charming, is on the couch next to me practicing his vowel sounds and Miss Sassy (2 year old) is taking a nap).  I haven't slept for more than 3 hours in a row since my 8th month of pregnancy, I am the PTA Treasurer at Princess's elementary school and I'm also a co-scout leader in her Junior Girl Scout Troop.

Sure, I have plenty of time for a blog challenge!  Bring.It.On.

Today's challenge is:  Describe where or what you come from. The people, the places, and/or the factors that make up who you are.


"My Family Tree is Full of Nuts!"

This was embroidered on a pillow that sat on my grandmother's couch for years.  She is gone now - she passed away just a month ago and my heart aches. 

I come from deep Midwestern roots.  My parents were both born and raised in Missouri.  Once they were done with college (my father is a mechanical engineer and my mother is a nurse), they couldn't get out of there fast enough. 

My father has always loved the ocean.  When I was seven years old and my brother nine, my parents quit their jobs and we moved onto a 34 foot sailboat.  We lived on that boat, which my father named Anticipation, for a little over two years.  We began our journey in Gulfport, MS, sailed around Florida and up the East Coast, all the way to Maryland.  We then sailed over to the Bahamas and lived there for about 6 months. 

My Father, Me, My Mom, and my Brother


Although it only lasted two years, this journey definitely impacted my character and worldview from a very young age.

I am a fiercely independent and fun loving person - yet, I can also be a dark, insecure and depressed hermit. 

I am generally very nice and I have the most annoying conscience that never lets me get into too much trouble - yet, I have a bit of a mean streak and a love for putting people in embarrassing situations.

I like to start discussions and arguments.

I don't fight fair (in verbal and physical fights) - yet, I fight for equality and fairness in my political views.

I am currently struggling with my role as a stay-at-home mom. 

I will always be ashamed that the first man to whom I chose to give my heart, broke it into a million pieces the night he viciously beat me in front of our three year old daughter.

I am amazed that I found the inner strength to leave him and start a new life for myself and my daughter.

I am infinitely proud of my husband who works tirelessly to give myself and our three children a safe and loving home.

I love my mom like no other.  You may think you love your mom as much as I love mine - but you don't.

I like to think that I get some of these qualities from my Grandmother.  


She was such a gem. 
 




 

 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


 
 
 
 
 

 
 

3 comments :

  1. This is so exquisitely written and makes me even more proud to have known you for so many years. You are one of the very best people in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel, this is a heartwarming blog entry. From someone who can totally relate to your first marriage experience, I am proud of you for getting out and being a better person because of it. I know I am a better person because of the 5 years of beatings I experienced in my first marriage. I love the picture of your family and love the picture of Katie. I admire the life you have lead and I admire the true love relationship you have with your mother. You are all very special people. Love you!

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi pixel perfect web designs